Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Hales Family Session | Columbus, GA Photographer

Meet the Hale brothers. They do not run or walk anywhere, they chug and they puff. Their arms are traction rods and their baths are an opportunity for a shiny new coat of paint. They do not just "play" trains-they ARE trains! It is so much a part of their everyday life.

Jenny contacted me about a photo session and said she wanted it on the railroad tracks and I knew-I was going to have a blast! What better setting for these train lovin' boys than at the tracks?!? I love, love, love to document stages in children's lives. To say that kids grow up too fast, sounds cliche. But it's true. These boys will not enter high school wearing their Thomas the Train gear like they will in kindergarten.

When we arrived for the shoot, the oldest jumped out of the car, full of  excitement to get to see a place that trains used to be. It took us a few minutes to convince them that a train was not going to come down the tracks and that it was very safe to walk on them. After a few walking shots, I had Jenny pull out their train hats and toys and had the boys sit by the tracks and play. I love to capture children in their own little worlds, not shy or intimidated by a camera in their face, but simply at home being who they always are. There is such a sweet innocence about them in that moment.

Now let me just say, it was a hot, hot, hot morning-even with us starting very early. Did I mention it was HoT?!? I really think it was hands down, the hottest session I have ever worked-and living in the South, that's saying a lot! These boys were having so much fun and were such good little train engines, but even trains get hot and tired. It did not take long before they were ready to get in the nice air conditioned car. Personally, I could not wait to get these images off my camera and start editing.

I seriously had an absolute blast with the Hales! Thank you Brian and Jenny for giving me the opportunity to capture this stage in your boys lives. I hope that one day when they are grown, you will look back on these photos and say, "I remember when all they wanted to do was play trains and talk about trains and pretend they were trains." It really does go by so fast...







1 comment: